0 / 80 ¹ÙÀÌÆ®
°í°´¸í
ȸ½Å¹øÈ£
Ä¿¹Â´ÏƼ | ¾îÇп¬¼ö Q&A|±³È¯ÇлýÄ¿¹Â´ÏƼ|±³È¯ÇлýQ&A|Çкθð|°¡µð¾ð±¸ÇØ¿ä|¼³¸íȸ Âü°¡Çß¾î¿ä|¾îÇпøüÇè´ã|º¸Çè&Ç×°ø±Ç|ÇöÁö»ýÈ°Á¤º¸|±ÝÁÖÀÇ ¿µ¾î&´º½º

ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ : 12-10-17 14:21
How Did I Break The Language Barrier While I Was Staying in America
 ±Û¾´ÀÌ : ±è¼ºÈÆ
Á¶È¸ : 1,280  
 How Did I Break The Language Barrier While I Was Staying in America

1. Before Reading

The American culture is really different from the Korean one because their history and place where they are living is so different from ours. They've grown up by the story of cowboy and lived on the vast land, but Koreans have grown up by the story of scholars reading books and lived on the small country. Because of their culture, their language is also different. They have special accents our language doesn't have, they use different words we don't use, and they laugh at different topics and stuffs. There could be tons of things that I might use in America to improve my English, but here are some major things used in this story. And at last, I want to thank my host family, especially Paul, my best friends, and church people, who greeted me with their sincere minds.

2. Grammar Is the Base of English.

To me, learning and right understanding of the English grammar was really important because it was directly connected to normal talk in English. I went to a Christian School, not a public school, whose curriculum is slightly different than a public school, and I got a chance to learn the basic grammar of English while I was there. I studied the basic structures of English and the usages of every grammatical element at school, and thankfully that I learned helped at many real situations. Sometimes Americans just don't understand ungrammatical sentences. So if you want to communicate freely with them, you've got to learn grammar correctly. Before you go to America, try to learn some English grammar book because that has better explanation, expression, and usage of English. Furthermore, you can learn the definition in English!

3. Listening Is Fun!

Listening is the main reason why Koreans go to America because at there everything you hear is English. But please don't think it's a boring thing. Actually, it's more fun to do to listen something in English because listening music is fun in America! In America, not like Korea, there are several huge systems to sell recoded CDs. So if you have enough money and time, you can buy music whatever you want! And you can hear your music whenever you want unless you have big exams tomorrow.
But the point listening music in English is catching the text without seeing caption. Let me think that you bought an Evanescence CD. In Korea, you can't get the text out from that because you didn't get used to anyone's English accent and word. But while you are in America, you can hear the text by guessing the text. In my case, when I first hear the American music, I cannot understand what the singer is talking about. I definitely needed some help from Paul, my host family brother, for months. He helped me a lot figuring out the text. But sometimes, that didn't help either. At that time, you will need to look at the caption followed with CD. If you like music, I think its worth to try in this way to listen music.
I wonder whether there are some comedy CDs in Korea. In America there are a lot of comedians such as Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvill, and Larry -The Cable Guy, and they record their comedy on CD. Many people listen to their CDs to laugh at their normal funny things. Especially teenagers use their expressions to communicate with each other and to make friends around them. Paul just loves the comedy CDs by Jeff Foxworthy and Bill Engvill. He is also a serious fan of 'Weird Out Yankovic', who made tons of parody music of other singers' song. The Songs of Weird Out is good to test yourself how much you can understand in that song.
When you first hear the funny songs and comedies of America, you won't find out why that's so funny because the things that American laugh about is slight different from Korean's. And that's why I listened to one comedy CD carefully. Music opens your ears when you concentrate. I hope you can do it too.
Did you ever go to the movie theater to see Korean movies? It's the same. You'll go to the movie theater with friends to see the movie. Because most teenagers over 16 start having their own car, if you have a friend who likes movies, you can have good opportunities to learn English by watching movies. Because the American movies use normal language, you can learn new words and their correct accent. But the best reason is you can realize and understand the American culture by watching American movies.

4. Speaking Is Necessary to Live.

If you don't speak, you are dumb. It's funny actually because dumb is the word that use to the one who doesn't think right. Well, if you are in America, You've got to speak American Language - English. You should not speak Korean when you are in America even when you talk to Korean people. Because that's the best way that helps get use to English. Unless you are talking to your parents, please don't say Korean at there because it delays your English improvement.
If you need to talk or to do something, always talk to host family first. When you get there you can't say your inner mind freely. But by practices and practices, you'll be able to say inner mind. For me, Paul helped me a lot. Like my real brother, he helped me to get use to saying English, and I got a lot of chance to talk with him. Furthermore, because I go to school with Paul, I got a lot of chance to talk with his friends.
If you want more social life, talk to your friends frequently. Share your problem with them, and they'll reply with their real mind. I got a friend whose name is Damon. He has his mom and sister who is born by step dad. By the family problem, his mom and dad live individually, and he lives with his mom and sister. But Damon is good person, and everybody likes him. What I need was comforting him with my heart. And we were good friends each other. When you go there, make your best friend who will talk with his or her heart.

5. Reading Leads You to a Fantasy World!

If you go to America, you will notice it's the best place to learn English because everything is English which means there is no sign of KOREAN. So you will learn English eventually. From road sign to nobles, you can choose whatever you want. For me, I read newspapers whenever I had time, and I read Harry Potter series. Personally, I liked Harry Potter series because it gave me lots of normal English expressions in the context.
I don't know whether you are a Christian or not, but Bible is still a good book to start reading, too. The American Standard Version Bible has really easy words all of which you should memorize. In my school, we ought to memorize one verse per day for memorizing work because it is a Christian school. Memorizing sounds so boring, but however, it helps you improve your English. Isn't it amazing?

Seong-hun Kim,

Total 589
¹øÈ£ Á¦   ¸ñ ±Û¾´ÀÌ ³¯Â¥ Á¶È¸
°øÁö Á¶±â/±³È¯Çлý ¿Â¶óÀÎ °³º°»ó´ã À¯ÇÐ³Ý 02-29 268
°øÁö ¹Ì±¹ °ø/»ç¸³±³È¯Çлý ÇÑ´Þ ¹«·á ¿µ¾îȸȭ¼ö°­±Ç ÁõÁ¤! À¯ÇÐ³Ý 12-27 6924
°øÁö Á¦40±â ¹Ì±¹°ø¸³±³È¯Çлý ¾È*ºóÇлý 50¸¸¿ø ÀåÇÐ±Ý ¼ö¿© À¯ÇÐ³Ý 11-18 2533
°øÁö MSHA Minority Student Leadership Program 2016 /ÀÌÇØÁö ÇлýÀÇ¡¦ À¯ÇÐ³Ý 07-27 7133
°øÁö [Á¤º¸]¹Ì±¹ Çо÷¼ºÀû äÁ¡ ±âÁØ... À¯ÇÐ³Ý 03-26 16913
°øÁö ¡°Ú¸±¹¹«ºÎ Àå°üÀÎ Èú·¯¸® Ŭ¸°ÅÏÀÇ ¹Ì±¹±³È¯Çлý È«º¸¡± µ¿¿µ»ó À¯ÇÐ³Ý 08-19 27243
289 How Did I Break The Language Barrier While I Was Staying in ¡¦ ±è¼ºÈÆ 10-17 1281
288 To all my exchange student friends - ÀÌÀ缺 ÀÌÀ缺 10-16 1258
287 ¹Ì±¹ Top National Universities ( ±³È¯Çлý - ³ª¿¬) ³ª¿¬ 09-01 1877
286 ¹Ì±¹ÀÇ ´ëÇеé - ³ª¿¬ / °ø¸³±³È¯ 6±â ³ª¿¬ 08-29 1635
285 ¼ÒÁßÇÑ ½ÃÀý - ÀÌÈ£¼± ÀÌÈ£¼± 08-25 1573
284 [9¿ù] ¼º°øÀûÀÎ Á¶±â/±³È¯ÇлýÀ» À§ÇÑ ¼Ò±Ô¸ð ¹ÐÂøÇü ¼³¸íȸ! À¯ÇÐ³Ý 08-16 2197
283 ¹ú½á üÇè±â¸¦ ¾²´Ù´Ï...Âü ¼¼¿ù!!! - Áø¿ì ÀÌÁø¿ì 08-24 1503
282 °í¸¿½À´Ï´ç...Àß ´Ù³à¿Ô½À´Ï´Ù!!! ~~~ - ¿¹Áö ±è¿¹Áö 08-23 1571
281 ¾Æ¸®Á¶³ª ±³È¯Çлý üÇè±â - ¹ÎÁ¤ ±è¹ÎÁ¤ 08-21 1471
280 [±³È¯Àϱâ] ³ªÀÇ ·ë 05 - ¿ìºó ¿ìºó 08-16 1474
279 [±³È¯Àϱâ] ³­ Á¤¸» ÇູÇØ 04 - ¿ìºó ¿ìºó 08-06 1588
278 [±³È¯Àϱâ] Dzº¼ 03 - ¿ìºó ¿ìºó 08-04 1504
277 [±³È¯Àϱâ] Çб³»ýÈ° 02 - ¿ìºó ¿ìºó 08-03 1500