0 / 80 ¹ÙÀÌÆ®
°í°´¸í
ȸ½Å¹øÈ£
Ä¿¹Â´ÏƼ | ¾îÇп¬¼ö Q&A|±³È¯ÇлýÄ¿¹Â´ÏƼ|±³È¯ÇлýQ&A|Çкθð|°¡µð¾ð±¸ÇØ¿ä|¼³¸íȸ Âü°¡Çß¾î¿ä|¾îÇпøüÇè´ã|º¸Çè&Ç×°ø±Ç|ÇöÁö»ýÈ°Á¤º¸|±ÝÁÖÀÇ ¿µ¾î&´º½º

ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ : 11-04-25 09:08
Stripped of dignity
 ±Û¾´ÀÌ : À¯ÇгÝ
Á¶È¸ : 3,049  
A young computer programmer on his way to a pheasant-hunting trip last November offered a cri de coeur about government groping

¡°If you touch my junk,¡± he told the T.S.A. agent at the San Diego airport just before he abandoned his trip, ¡°I¡¯ll have you arrested.¡± 

It¡¯s hard to feel safe in the skies when you have to worry not only about terrorists but our own air-traffic controllers conking out, watching movies and making boneheaded mistakes. A controller¡¯s error on Monday evening put Michelle Obama¡¯s plane frighteningly close to a 200-ton military cargo jet. 

Ever since the Thanksgiving rebellion over intrusive new pat-downs that some have dubbed ¡°gate-rape,¡± Americans have been debating security requirements versus privacy rights. 

Consternation crackled again last week when a Kentucky couple posted video of their 6-year-old daughter being given the deep probe by a female T.S.A. agent in New Orleans. 

¡°We felt that it was inappropriate,¡± the girl¡¯s mother, Selena Drexel, told ABC News. ¡°You know, we struggle to teach our child to protect themselves, to say ¡®No, it¡¯s not O.K. for folks to touch me in this way, in these areas.¡¯ Yet, here we are saying, ¡®Well, it¡¯s O.K. for these people.¡¯ ¡± 

Alaska State Representative Sharon Cissna has become a heroine for many women with breast cancer since she spoke out about the ¡°twisted policy¡± of having the ¡°invasive, probing hands of a stranger¡± on her, after scanners twice showed the scars from her mastectomy and she was ordered to undergo ¡°humiliating¡± body searches.  

The second time the Anchorage Democrat was told to do the pat-down in mid-February, returning to Juneau after getting medical treatment in Seattle, she refused. She rented a car, drove three hours into British Columbia, took a plane from Vancouver to the small town of Prince Rupert and then got on a ferry for a two-day trip to Juneau. 

Her fellow lawmakers in the Last Frontier, where people have to travel by air quite a bit, passed a bill she co-sponsored pushing the T.S.A. to rethink its methods because ¡°no one should have to sacrifice their dignity in order to travel.¡± 

Cissna, 69, who said the aggressive pat-down also stirred unpleasant memories of a teenage molestation, said she has gotten more than a thousand letters. The Alaska Legislature has asked the U.S. Senate to hold hearings. 

¡°I don¡¯t have a huge war against T.S.A.,¡± she said on Monday. ¡°I have a huge war against government that isn¡¯t looking carefully enough at the people that it serves.¡± 

She asserted that the system does not seem smartly tailored to focus on dangerous people rather than ¡°good, law-abiding people.¡± So kids, seniors and those with disabilities, joint replacements and other medical conditions ¡ª things they already feel embarrassed about ¡ª end up getting harassed. 

¡°Not only breast cancer veterans like myself,¡± she said, ¡°but people who¡¯ve had colostomies, any kind of alteration to their bodies that makes them look not absolutely 100 percent normal. And it is assaultive.¡± 

One of my relatives, a distinguished federal official, recently sent a letter of complaint to the T.S.A. about her experience submitting to a body search at Washington¡¯s Reagan airport after the scanner reflected the shadow of the ostomy bag she wears on her abdomen. 

Fearing that would happen, she had printed out the notification card on the T.S.A. Web site, as she wrote, ¡°so as to discreetly inform the T.S.A. agent of my medical condition. The agent would not even look at the card. ... The screening agent then did a hand search of my groin, breasts, under the waistband of my slacks and around my ostomy bag. ... Does having an ileostomy now make you a terrorist suspect?¡± 

She has been rethinking how long she wants to work for the government in a job that requires a lot of air travel and says she would consider joining a class-action lawsuit against the T.S.A. 

John Pistole, the T.S.A. chief and 26-year veteran of the F.B.I., said he called Tom Sawyer, a 61-year-old bladder cancer survivor who had his urostomy bag dislodged, and urine spilled on him, after a rough T.S.A. search in Detroit last November. 

¡°I asked him to come in and provide some personal perspective that could be used in training to give greater sensitivity,¡± said Pistole, who flew Sawyer from Lansing, Mich., to Washington. 

He said they are trying to move past a ¡°one-size-fits-all¡± program and implement a ¡°risk-based, intelligence-driven process¡± by the end of the year that would have more refined targeting. If passengers are willing to share the same information they give to airline frequent-flier programs, he said, maybe some day they will be able to ¡°keep their jacket on and their laptop in their briefcase and hang on to that unfinished bottle of water. 

?¡°I¡¯d like to get to the point,¡± he said wistfully, ¡°where most people could leave their shoes on.¡±

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
¿¡ ÁýÁßÇÏ´Ù

*law-abiding: ¹ýÀ» ÁؼöÇÏ´Â

*disability: Àå¾Ö

*joint replacement: Àΰø °üÀý

*replacement: ´ëü¹°

*end up~: °á±¹ ~ÇÏ°Ô µÇ´Ù

*harass~: ~À» ±«·ÓÈ÷´Ù, ~À» ¸ø»ì°Ô ±¼´Ù 

*colostomy :Àΰø Ç×¹® Çü¼º¼ö¼ú

*alteration to ~:~¿¡ º¯°æÀ» °¡ÇÔ, ~À» º¯°æÇÔ, ~À» º¯ÇüÇÔ 

*reflect~:~À» º¸¿©ÁÖ´Ù, ~À» ³ªÅ¸³»ÁÖ´Ù

*submit to~: (Á¶Ä¡, Ä¡·á µîÀ») ¹Þ´Ù

*ostomy: °³±¸ ¼ö¼ú,  Àΰø Ç×¹® , Àΰø ¼Òº¯ ¹è¼³±¸